Tuesday, May 10, 2011

New Item Categories

I've changed the names of the item categories in the Deranged Designs woman's clothing section. In the past I categorized clothing based on whether or not it was handmade, but I have decided to go back to a simpler way of organizing things.

So now I have the normal clothing categories: hoodies and jackets, shirts and tank tops, dresses, etc. Under each item picture, I will list the available sizes as well as information on whether the item was handmade by me or made by another clothing line.



I highlighted the new labels in red just to make it as obvious as possible. The dress on the left is handmade, one-of-a-kind, from my own pattern. The jeans on the right are manufactured by Tripp NYC, a popular alternative clothing brand.

I know that a lot of people like to buy handmade stuff whenever possible, so I don't want my handmade clothes to get lost among everything else. I also don't want anybody to think that I made a certain item when it was made by another clothing brand.

I should probably note that some of my handmade items do have elements that were from other garments. I still love to recycle old clothing into new things, so sometimes a handmade item will not be 100% handmade. I will try to use good judgement while labeling things as handmade. If something doesn't have a handmade label or a brand name on it, it is either a generic brand or it is an item that I have slightly altered. The handmade label will go to items that were made from scratch or items that have been drastically changed from their original form.

We can blame Regretsy for making me so nit-picky about the handmade label! After seeing so many hilarious examples of sellers trying to pass off mass-produced items as handmade, I don't want anybody to think that I would try the same thing.

You can click on the new categories here or in the girl's clothing section:
















No comments:

Post a Comment